Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Goodbye India....


Photo: The children at Ashray Rescue Crisis Center for children affected and infected by HIV/AIDS.

I am back in America now, and it is nice to see my friends and family. But, memories of the last three months in India remind me of how much I love that country. India, a dirty and overpopulated country, but filled with rich culture, traditions, spirituality, and love. Indians are a humble people with a highly ingrained sense of respect and hospitality towards others. Seemingly pushy, their motives are only to help, give, and support you as an outsider. Yes, complete strangers may invite you to their homes, force feed you no matter how many times you politely say "no thanks", and show you every photo album they have, but it is all out of LOVE and the idea that "a guest is a god". As more than half of the population of India is impoverished, there is a deep belief in Reincarnation that serves to help everyone accept their places in society. And, there is a deep belief in Karma that speaks to the hearts of those who pass by a beggar without giving what they can, or ignores an orphan child traveling alone on the train next to them, or always receives and never gives. These important belief structures help many Indians survive. But, survive is not what I believe in. Surviving is minimal. We live in a country (America) that works for the betterment and success of all individuals, and a government that strives to change and pass laws that are upheld to benefit its citizens. So, I must believe this is possible for India too.

India is an old country, with thousands of years of traditions and beliefs they still hold on to. Indians are wonderful people, but India needs help. There are also thousands of Indian girl babies being killed due to the impossible burden of the dowry system (illegal but still widely practiced). There are thousands of poor and sick people dying due to a lack of help and awareness in health and hygiene. When conversing with Social Workers in India about the need for government and social reform, they reply with this: "India is too overpopulated for that. We must do what we can to help those we see in need, but there is nothing more we can do. Some will survive, but many will not." I believe there is more that can be done. And, one day I hope India believes it too.

My trip to India was beyond my imagination. Everything I hoped for and nothing like what I thought it would be. Heartbreaking but encouraging, and hard but so so so worth it. Thanks everyone for your support and prayers during these last three months. If you wish to sponsor a child or send donations to one of the organizations that I worked with, please email me: kellyhgg@yahoo.com

I encourage everyone to visit India at least once! It's life altering.

No comments:

Post a Comment