Monday, October 19, 2009

Last few weeks as an intern...

Wow, what an adventure I’ve had so far! I mean, I’ve been in India for 5 ½ weeks so far and have seen, tasted, smelled, and experienced more than I could have imagined. Traveling alone was incredible, and I am so glad I actually did it. Now that I’m able to reflect on it, I am thankful for even the scary parts of my trip (i.e. being stalked in Jaipur). Through everything I experience, I learn more about myself and more about the world. I have now traveled in both Northern and Southern India, but have yet to travel in many states in the Western part of India. I will save that for my next journey...
In the last few weeks, I have been living in a two-story bungalow in a small town called Pen. Pen is located about 2 ½ hours southeast of Mumbai. The state I am in is called Maharashtra, and people here speak both Hindi and Marathi (their state language). I have been struggling to learn Hindi, which is the national language, as well as Marathi to appease the locals here. However, it is not too difficult to get by with English. This is unfortunate, because then I become lazy and only want to speak English. I am practicing Hindi and Marathi every day, though. Slowly but surely I will be able to communicate relatively well in one or the other, and maybe both.

No comments:

Post a Comment