Monday, October 19, 2009

Sunday, October 4th - I fried Banana Pakodas!

Sunday, October 4th – I fried Banana Pakodas!!

This morning, I woke up and fried some banana pakoda’s that Sheetal (our cook) taught me to make! They are a special Punjabi dish made in Rajasthan that Sheetal just happens to know the recipe for. In India, each state has their own specialty dishes, clothing and culture. Banana Pakoda’s are so sweet and delicious! Here’s the recipe, if anyone wants to try it!:

1 ½ CUPS OF WHEAT FLOUR, 2 SMALL BANANAS, ½ CUP OF BROWN SUGAR, 1 CUP WATER, ½ TSP. SALT. MASH ALL OF THIS UP TOGETHER UNTIL EVERYTHING IS MIXED UP AND SMOOTH, AND KEEP INSIDE A COVERED BOWL FOR APPX. 7 HOURS. THERE IS NO NEED TO REFRIGERATE IT. AFTER 7 HOURS, PUT 2 CUPS OF OIL INTO A PAN, AND BALL UP PALM-SIZE BANANA PAKODA’S THE BEST YOU CAN. THEY ARE KINDA RUNNY, SO THEY DON’T END UP BEING IN THE SHAPE UP A BALL AND YOU KIND OF HAVE TO SLIDE THEM OFF YOUR HAND. IT’S NOT IMPORTANT WHAT THEY LOOK LIKE, THOUGH. PUT 5 OR 6 BALLS INTO THE HOT OIL AT A TIME AND FLIP THEM WHEN ONE SIDE IS GOLDEN BROWN. THIS SHOULD TAKE ONLY A FEW MINUTES TO COOK THEM! THEN, REMOVE THEM AND ADD ANOTHER 5 OR 6 BALLS. ALL TOGETHER, DEPENDING ON THE SIZE YOU MAKE THEM, YOU SHOULD HAVE AT LEAST 20 BANANA PAKODA’S! THEY ARE SO YUMMY! LET THEM SIT FOR A FEW MINUTES TO PREVENT BURNING YOUR MOUTH.


I was so afraid that they wouldn’t be cooked all the way through that I burned them, but I was proud of myself, nonetheless. Afterwards, Sheetal and I made chai and masala noodles for breakfast. We had to rush to get ready for the baby shower we were attending, because Sheetal’s husband was picking us up at 9:30! Sheetal left, because she had to cook for the baby shower, so her husband picked us up and brought us to their village. Apparently, I was inappropriately dressed, because I wasn’t wearing the traditional Indian Salwaar Kameez. Instead, I wore a long skirt, tank top, and a scarf that covered my chest, shoulders, and arms. I’m not sure why, but I think because I was wearing a tank top and my back was exposed more than normal, Sheetal was embarrassed. I felt so bad, because I had no idea it was inappropriate. Indians wear Sari’s all the time, and the blouses always expose their backs, but they always have sleeves. Something about the straps on my tank top probably seemed scandalous, so I felt really bad. So, Sheetal gave me a different scarf (“dupata” in India terms) that wrapped around my back and chest. But, I learned my lesson: any time I go anywhere in India, cover as much as I can! Sometimes, though, when I’m traveling to a different state or city in India, I just feel like wearing American clothing because the Indian outfits are so dang hot. And, I do this when I know people look at me as a foreigner who doesn’t know any better!

No comments:

Post a Comment