Friday, November 20, 2009

11th week in India






1st photo: Ashray, the place I work, 2nd photo: me and Sahil Kahn (a famous Bollywood actor!), 3rd photo: my new program manager, Mukesh, Ann (one of my new roommates), and me!, 4th photo: Hijra's on the street (you should look up Hijra's in India online), 5th photo: a "magic cow" who nods its head yes or no when you ask it a question, then you give the man money.

Hi everyone! This week was pretty great. Everyday, I get to work on the public bus. I leave my house around 8:30-9:00am and walk to the bus station. From there, there is a bus that comes every 15 minutes from Goregaon West that takes me to Ashray in Bandra West. I sit on the bus for 1 1/2 hours every day, and then walk 20 minutes to Ashray from the bus stop. So, when I get to work I am EXHAUSTED! I always ask for a cup of Indian Tea when I get there to wake me up. Then, I go see what the kiddos are up to. They're usually playing, drawing, and getting ready for school all at the same time. We have morning activities that we conduct for them before they go to school, like dancing, drawing, meditation/yoga, storybook reading, etc... The children are so well-behaved. After my experiences with children in the U.S., Indian children are so different. It's something about the culture here- respect is of the utmost importance here. Elders are highly respected for their wisdom, life experiences, and support. Everyone takes care of each other here, especially family.

After the afternoon children leave for school, the morning children come back and I help them study their math, English, science, life skills, history, and geography subjects. It's been difficult for me, because the Indian education system is based on memorization, which means that the children don't even learn what it is they are being taught. They simply have to memorize the information given, which is given to them in a book, and then copy the exact same thing on their exams. It's frustrating to see this kind of system, because I feel like the children would benefit so much more from an interactive classroom setting where they can talk about what they're learning with the teacher and make sure they understand everything. Additionally, in the government schools (which are free), every student passes their exams! Even if that student doesn't know anything on the test, the teacher will provide the answer for them to ensure they pass. They do this in order to keep the schools open, but it's so detrimental for the children. They move up to the next grade level every year even if they are not ready for it. I don't know what can be done about this, but it would take a number of years to change the system. But, at least the children are being provided a safe place to be every day, instead of on the streets.

Next week, I am definitely going to the TATA Institute and the Red Light Area. Look for my next post coming soon! By the way, I'll be in Colorado on Nov. 30th and back in Oregon on Dec. 8th! Wow. This trip has gone by fast, but I can't wait to see everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment