Thursday, November 5, 2009

Children affected by HIV/AIDS in Mumbai...

Mumbai- the craziest city in the world. SERIOUSLY. Everything is here- about 14 million people, Bollywood stars, the richest and the poorest, industry, opportunity, prostitution, insane pollution, etc... I arrived in Mumbai last week on the 8th of November. I was given the most amazing opportunity to work in a rescue crisis center for children affected with or by HIV/AIDS. The NGO is called, Committed Communities Development Trust (CCDT), and this crisis center (called Ashray) is only one of their projects. These children are either orphans because their parents have passed away from AIDS, they are affected themselves, or their parents are so sick that they are unable to care for their children. The rescue crisis center works towards rehabilitation for the family, so that the children can again be reunited with their families. Many of these children's parents are prostitutes in the Red Light District of Mumbai and have contracted HIV/AIDS through that. These children are exposed to this lifestyle, so they too are in danger of being forced into the business of prostitution themselves.

There are about 30 children in the rescue center in Mumbai that live and attend school there. There is one "House Mother" and many employees and part-time teachers that tutor the children in their school subjects. There are two more crisis centers that are located outside of Mumbai and specifically house older children (from 12-18). One of the children in Mumbai, named Kartik, is 5 years old and has been moved there with his little brother, Muddon, who is 4 years old. They had to leave their families from Tamil Nadu, a state in Southern India, and start a brand new life in Mumbai. They only knew their mother language, Tamil, and no Hindi, Marathi, or English. They had to learn an entirely different language, meet new friends, become a part of a new family, and cope with all the pain and struggle they had been through before coming there. It was so heartbreaking to hear this, especially when Kartik came up to me the other day crying and telling me how much he missed his mom (in Hindi). He curled up in my lap and cried for 20 minutes before he calmed down. His younger brother, Muddon, always seems a little sick. I'm not sure if he is HIV+ or not, because we are not told that as teachers, but he never seems very well. He's very small and thin and has a really hard time learning his numbers 1-10 let alone the ABC's. Honestly, I want to cry every time I think about their situation. Fortunately, despite the hardship of starting a new life without their parents, they have been rescued from a situation that could have led to their death. All the children at this orphanage crisis center are wonderful, happy, and kind children. They are so loving. I cannot imagine the pain their little hearts and bodies are going through, but I am so thankful for this organization that has saved them.

This week, I am going to visit the TATA Institute of Social Sciences to check out the Social Work program there, the curriculum, and to interview a few of the professors. The Social Work students go into the field daily and work with the impoverished, the prostitutes, the orphans, etc... I also hope to visit the Red Light District some time this week with the head of the project, called Roshni (also a part of CCDT), who talks to the women about their options out of prostitution. This project helps these women, men, and kids out of this area to begin a new happy and healthy life. I am so thankful for this opportunity.

I only have two weeks left- I cannot believe it. But, I'm going to make the most out of it. I am excited to see everyone when I get home. I'll be in Colorado from Nov. 30th - Dec. 8th, and then I'll return to Portland. I start working again at Starbucks on the 10th!! I can't wait to see all my favorite customers again!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment