Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Rishikesh-1st day






1st photo: India cappuccinos- consist of milk, chocolate, cinnamon, and an inch of froth, 2nd photo: two cobras slithering around my neck!, 3rd photo: the cobra man playing his magical instrument, 4th: my lovely hotel room, 5th: view of Ganges and Himalayas from the bus.

When I first arrived to Rishikesh, I was in utter awe of the beauty around me. As the bus drove through the lower Himalayas to Rishikesh, the Ganges surrounded every bridge. There had been much rain, so it was flowing quite fast. But, it was absolutely glorious. As I departed from the bus, I was mobbed by men asking me if I needed a rickshaw to my hotel. Well, let's just say I have learned a thing or two from my previous experiences. Therefore, I told them no, avoided eye contact, and walked away. I quickly came upon two young women and asked them where my hotel cottage was, called: Mount Valley Mama Cottage. They told me I needed to take a rickshaw, b/c it was up further in the mountains a few miles away. So, I walked towards the direction of the hotel until this man drove up asking if I needed a ride. I looked into his eyes and saw his honesty and kindness, which I had been looking for. I was so relieved and only paid Rs.30 (less than $1). Whew! I arrived and found out that Mama Cottage was full, but Green Valley Peace Cottage right next door had an open room. For Rs.150 (a little over $3) per night, I am staying on the first floor where I get my own room, bathroom, and hot water!!!!!! I couldn't believe it! I was forgetting all the things that had happened to me in Jaipur and felt completely safe here. This small community on the hilltop overlooking the Ganges River and the Himalayas is a haven for travelers. There are cottages and guesthouses surrounded by small multi-cuisine restaurants, massage spas, and yoga centers. I have met people from Israel, France, Germany, Scotland, Canada, Morocco, America, Italy, and many other places here. So great!

After settling in and showering, I had my favorite breakfast since coming to India ("banana milk porridge"). I felt so at peace, as no one was hassling me, men were not staring, and I was surrounded my nature. Afterwards, there was an Indian man sitting outside the restaurant with this really cool instrument thing and a basket in front of him. I thought nothing of the basket, but asked him to play his instrument. As he began playing, he lifted the top off the basket and out came 2 Cobras!!! Ah! I was freaked out. I mean, I've seen Cobras before in India, but not that close. As he played, they flared out and their heads started moving. Afterwards, he insisted that I let him put them around my neck. I know they take the venom out of their mouths, but I still thought he was crazy! Everyone around him was saying the Cobras don't bite, and eventually I gave in. It felt so weird with them around my neck, and after we got some pictures in I asked him to take them off of me. I was quite sure they wanted to bite my face off. Made for good photos, though.

The day was restful and wonderful. Thank you, Jonathan Poe, for suggesting this place to me. I didn't think I'd ever experience such an exquisite retreat. WOW.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like an exciting trip so far Kelly! Great photographs too!

    -Mike-
    (a.k.a. quad venti extra-hot no-whip mocha!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss you. I should have been there with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. India doesnt treat women well....especially foreigners....hope u enjoyed the later part of your trip.

    ReplyDelete